Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Power to the people

I live in Sweden, and today there was a major power outage that affected all of the southern parts thereof. Total blackout.

I was at work, so I strapped my toolbelt and Mag-Lite on and started wandering the corridors in case there would be damsels in distress or disciples in need of enlightenment. Everybody seem to be calm, most leave for home. Some diehards wait for the electricity to return, candles are lit, chessboards put up. And, most importantly, the opportunity to finally clean out binders, filing cabinets, desktops (of the physical kind) and trays from all that unnecessary paper is seized upon.

I worry about the guys down in one lab. One hour without electricity and their peaceful playing of chess and folding of paper airplanes had deteriorated into something like Lord of the Flies, out of frustration.

Kill the beast! Cut his throat! Spill his blood!