Monday, July 03, 2006

Playing position

In some games of poker, your position on the table in relation to the dealer matters. But that's not what I'm writing about right now. Oh, come to think of it, what's the name of this blog? "Glued to the seat".

I just got an updated and detailed itinerary for my flight(s) to and from Las Vegas. I'll be flying from Copenhagen airport with Delta, who started flying from there in... May 2006 , I think.

Over at SeatGuru, "The ultimate source for airplane seating, in-flight amenities and airline information", you can find information about good and bad seats on many, if not all (major) airlines and their different aircraft.

Looks like I drew the short straw in seating assignment, the itinerary I got had seat numbers on it. On all flights (two legs, Copenhagen-Atlanta and Atlanta-Las Vegas, return ticket) except one, I got a seat farthest back. The Atlanta-LV one is the worst, marked in red at SeatGuru. And all except one are aisle seats. Hope I make it to the money at the WSOP so I can get another classier flight home.

Not good... Farthest back will probably mean last one off, having to go through the whole plane when boarding with everybody and their grandma, farthest from everything (amenities) et cetera. Worst of everything.

How could this be? I booked early (in March, for travelling July-August), but maybe that's it? "They" start filling from the back.

My hope will be that they're not booked 100% full and that my timing is right at the check-in desk. Just point out to them that I got poor seats all over and could they possibly put me anywhere else?

Any hints on how to play that? I'm not looking for a free upgrade to business or first class, just out of the back. Found some, the number one tip is to be at check-in early when they can still juggle around. Number two seems to be to get "tagged", so to speak, as someone who can be moved around. Easier to shift one person/seat around when filling out the plane than to accomodate a group (a family or other group who want to be seated together). But arrive early.

Or maybe I just misinterpret the Seat: field in the itinerary, and they're not assigned until check-in.

No comments: